INFORMATION for Timor-Leste applicants
for the 2019 Study English in Australia scholarships
2019 ONLINE APPLICATIONS will OPEN on 4 FEBRUARY 2019 and
CLOSE at 5pm (AEDT) on 25 FEBRUARY 2019
Late Applications will not be accepted!
The Scholarships winners from Timor-Leste will travel to Melbourne in July 2019 and enrol in a study program consisting of one (1) week of General English, followed by twenty (20)
weeks of intensive English for Academic Purposes.
To be considered for a scholarship, Applicants in Timor-Leste need to have a reasonable level of English proficiency already, as this is a difficult course, taught entirely in English.
1. Who is eligible to apply?
Applications will only be accepted from residents of Timor-Leste who are workers in
paid employment with a:
- company or commercial business;
- government organisation;
- Non-Government Organisation (NGO); or a
- community organisation AND
who have been awarded a degree or diploma from a university or technical college.
This means that to be eligible to apply you must be a resident of Timor-Leste, with a
university or college degree or diploma, and be working in a paid job.
Applications will not be accepted from Timorese citizens who applied for a Study in Australia scholarship in 2018.
This means that if you applied for this scholarship in 2018, you will not be able to re-apply in
2. When to apply?
2019 online APPLICATIONS will OPEN on Monday 4 February
APPLICATIONS CLOSE at 5.00pm (AEDT) on Monday 25 February
Late Applications will not be accepted!
NB. The Application Portal does NOT OPEN until Monday 4 February 2019.
FOR THE INFORMATION OF CANDIDATES:
3. What costs does the scholarship cover?
The 2019 ‘Study in Australia’ scholarships will cover the costs of:
- the application and related costs to obtain a student Visa for Australia (but NOT the cost of your Passport);
- the course tuition fees;
- one return economy air travel fare between Dili and Melbourne;
- basic homestay accommodation at the direction of the Mangold Trust;
- textbook and clothing allowance;
- reasonable living expenses, paid by instalments.
4. The 2019 selection process timetable
4 February 2019
Online Applications OPEN
25 February 2019
Online Applications CLOSE
Results emailed to Applicants, either "shortlisted for interview" or "unsuccessful"
Early April 2019
Shortlisted Applicants interviewed in Dili, with an English proficiency test
Late April 2019
Shortlisted Applicants informed of the results
The Mangold Trust considers all the Applications received from eligible Timor-Leste residents by the closing date and selects a shortlist of applicants for testing and interviews.
In March 2019, Applicants will be emailed the result of their Applications. If your Application has been shortlisted you will be given details of the English proficiency test and the
appointment time to attend an interview in Dili in early April.
In early April 2019, Applicants on the shortlist will be tested for English proficiency and interviewed in Dili. All shortlisted Applicants will be notified of the results in
5. What happens next, if your Application is successful?
If your Application is successful, you will be offered a Study in Australia scholarship and you will be required to sign a Scholarship Agreement.
The Fund has made an arrangement with a school, Embassy English in Melbourne, Australia for scholarship recipients to study English for Academic Purposes in a supportive and
effective study environment.
If you are offered a scholarship you will be assisted to apply for a place at Embassy English (‘the School’). When you receive a Certificate of Enrolment from the School, you must
then apply for a student Visa for Australia and you may need to attend a medical examination. The Fund will cover the cost of the student Visa application (but not a
Passport, if you need one.)
Your English course will start in Melbourne in July 2019.
6. What are the conditions of the scholarship?
The conditions of the scholarship are that you:
- obtain a student Visa;
- must live in a homestay in Melbourne arranged by the School, or arranged with an organisation approved by the Fund. This will provide a secure residence where meals are provided and you
are encouraged to practise speaking English. The Fund will only pay homestay expenses either to the School or to an approved organisation;
- make satisfactory progress in your studies. The School will provide the Fund with reports on your progress.
7. Cancellation of the scholarship
The Fund reserves the right to withdraw or terminate the scholarship at any time if you:
- engage in serious misconduct which in the opinion of the Fund is inconsistent with the aims of the Fund or in any other way brings the Fund into disrepute; or
- fail to make satisfactory progress in your studies; or
- do not comply with your student Visa conditions.
If the Fund terminates the scholarship, or you return to Timor-Leste without the prior approval of the Fund, any moneys paid in advance to you will have to be refunded to the Fund.
All enquiries: email@example.com
Applications for 2019 Scholarships open on 4 February 2019.