GUIDELINES for Timor-Leste applicants
for 2018 Study English in Australia Scholarships
**APPLICATIONS OPEN ON 5 February 2018 & CLOSE 23 February 2018.
In 2018, the Walter Mangold Trust Fund ('the Fund') will offer several ‘Study English in Australia’ Scholarships only for residents of Timor-Leste, to enable them to come to
Melbourne, Australia and study English.
Scholarship winners will travel to Melbourne in late June 2018 and enrol in a study program consisting of one (1) week of General English, followed by twenty (20) weeks of intensive
English for Academic Purposes.
To be considered for a scholarship you will need to have a reasonable level of English proficiency already, as this is a difficult course, taught entirely in English.
1. Who is eligible to apply?
Residents of Timor-Leste who are workers in paid employment or full-time tertiary students are eligible to apply.
Applications will only be accepted from:
workers in paid employment with a company or commercial business; government organisation; NGO; or community organisation.
full time tertiary education students enrolled in second year or higher at a university or technical college.
2. What references will I need?
Workers will need to obtain a reference from their current employer on your employer's letterhead.
Students will need to provide a reference from their current lecturer or teacher on the University or College lettterhead.
Without a reference you will not be considered for a scholarship!
3. When can I apply?
Applications will OPEN on 5 February 2018 when the online Application portal will be available
from this website.
Applications will CLOSE on Friday 23 February
2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
4. How do I apply?
Applications can only be completed online, by registering to enter the Application Portal.
The online Application Portal will open and be available from this website on Monday 5 February 2018
5. The Application questions
In the online Application, you will be asked a question about how the study of English will help you in your work or university studies? Your answer will be important in
deciding who receives a scholarship.
You will also be asked a question about why you want to improve your English? If you want to qualify for entry to a further or higher education course, you must tell the
Mangold Trust what course you want to study.
6. What costs does the scholarship cover?
The 2018 ‘Study in Australia’ scholarships will cover the costs of:
- the application and related costs to obtain a student Visa for Australia (excluding the cost of your Passport);
- the course tuition fees;
- one return economy air travel fare between Dili and Melbourne;
- basic homestay accommodation at the direction of the Mangold Trust;
- textbook and clothing allowance;
- reasonable living expenses, paid by instalments.
7. The selection process timetable
5 February 2018
Online Applications OPEN
23 February 2018
Online Applications CLOSE
Results emailed to Applicants, either "shortlisted for interview" or "unsuccessful"
Early April 2018
Shortlisted Applicants interviewed in Dili, with an English proficiency test
Shortlisted Applicants informed of the results
The Mangold Trust will consider all the Applications received by the closing date, Friday 23 February 2018 and select a shortlist of applicants for testing and interviews.
In March 2018, Applicants will be emailed the result of their applications. If you have been shortlisted you will be given details of the English test and interview appointment time
to attend in Dili in early April.
In early April 2018, Applicants on the shortlist will be tested for English proficiency and interviewed in Dili. All shortlisted Applicants will be notified of the results in
8. What happens next, if I’m successful?
If your application is successful, you will be offered a Study in Australia scholarship and you will be required to sign a Scholarship Agreement.
The Fund has made an arrangement with a school, Embassy English in Melbourne, for scholarship recipients to study English for Academic Purposes in a supportive and effective study
If you are offered a scholarship you will be assisted to apply for a place at Embassy English (‘the School’). When you receive a Certificate of Enrolment from the School, you must
then apply for a student Visa for Australia and you may need to attend a medical examination. The Fund will cover the cost of the student Visa application and medical check.
Your course will start in Melbourne in late June 2018.
9. What are the conditions of the scholarship?
The conditions of the scholarship are that you:
- obtain a student Visa;
- must stay in a homestay arranged by the School, or arranged with an organisation approved by the Fund. This will provide a secure residence where meals are provided and you are
encouraged to practise speaking English. The Fund will only pay homestay expenses either to the School or to an approved organisation;
- make satisfactory progress in your studies. The School will provide the Fund with reports on your progress.
10. Cancellation of the scholarship
The Fund reserves the right to withdraw or terminate the scholarship at any time if you:
- engage in serious misconduct which in the opinion of the Fund is inconsistent with the aims of the Fund or in any other way brings the Fund into disrepute; or
- fail to make satisfactory progress in your studies; or
- do not comply with your student Visa conditions.
If the Fund terminates the scholarship, or you return to Timor-Leste without the prior approval of the Fund, any moneys paid in advance to you will have to be refunded to the Fund.
All enquiries: email@example.com